According to Agus Salim, her Indonesian lawyer, she found work in Dubai as a domestic helper. However, she returned to Manila before her two-year contract ended because “she was almost raped”.
In early 2010, Agus said Mary Jane was offered another job as a domestic helper in Kuala Lumpur by a godsister identified only as Christine or Cristina. But when she arrived in Kuala Lumpur, the job was no longer available.
Christine then asked Mary Jane to go to Yogyakarta in Indonesia instead. Agus said Christine gave Mary Jane a brand new suitcase to use plus $500. Mary Jane told her lawyers the suitcase seemed heavy but was empty.
On April 25, 2010, she arrived at Yogyakarta's Adisucipto airport via an AirAsia flight from Kuala Lumpur. When the suitcase passed through the X-ray scanner, it set off the alarm. Indonesian authorities then found packs of heroin wrapped in aluminium foil weighing a total of 2.6 kilograms hidden inside the lining of the suitcase. They later estimated the drugs to have a street value of $500,000.
As a result, she was sentenced to death
3 WAYS TO HELP SAVE THE LIFE OF MARY JANE VELOSO
1. Sign the online petition calling for the Indonesian President to reconsider Veloso's appeal.
2. Send letters, emails or fax messages calling on:
- Indonesian Pres Joko Widodo to grant Mary Jane Veloso clemency on grounds of a mistrial and for humanitarian reasons. Letters may be coursed through Indonesian embassies or to the following officials:
H.E. President of the Republic of Indonesia Joko Widodo
Jakarta Pusat 10110, Indonesia
Fax: +62 21 386 4816 /+62 21 344 2233
- Philippine President Benigno Aquino III to exhaust all means to save Mary Jane Veloso’s life and investigate why Veloso was deprived of proper legal assistance." The letter can be sent to:
H.E. President of the Republic of the Philippines Benigno Aquino III
Office: JP Laurel St., San Miguel, Manila, Philippines
Voice: (+632) 564 1451 to 80
Fax: (+632) 742-1641 / 929-3968
E-mail: email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Philippine government to hunt down and prosecute Mary Jane Veloso’s illegal recruiter.
- Migrants and human rights organizations to appeal for clemency for Mary Jane Veloso.
Save the Life of Mary Jane Veloso
45 Cambridge St., Cubao, Quezon City, Philippines
Telefax: (+632) 9114910
3. Spread the word.
Like and share the Save the Life of Mary Jane Veloso Facebook page
Find out more